Thursday, June 17, 2010

We went to the FINKE!!

Packing our car for a 5 day camping trip in the Central Australian desert!
Here I am helping Daddy, Mummy and Shae - we are all very excited!

First night- Tennant Creek - very cold, my first time in freezing cold weather (that I remember). We stayed in a two bedroom cabin - my first sleep in a big bed (without safety rails)

Shae and I have our winter clothes on.

I helped Daddy check the tyre pressure before we left Tenannt Creek. I am a big helper.
Shae in her beanie and scarf - such a novelty for us tropical residents!

We stopped at Aileron for lunch and to see some lizards - I wasn't too sure about them.
Only day two and there is red dust everywhere!

ALICE SPRINGS!!! Yah proper coffee for Mummy x

Alice Springs - first stop - coffee shop, and coffee for me too (thanks Tommy)!

Once I saw this truck I knew we were really at the Finke Desert Race - it is very exciting. We are staying at the Quest in Alice Springs which was wonderful - very comfortable - camping starts tomorrow.

Scrutinising - all the Bugies and Motorbikes were in a big shed where the officails and then the spectators got to see them. There was lots and lots of people there and it was very cold.

This is Daddys friend Tim, he is pitcrewing for some motorbikes which is pretty exciting. Shae loved the motorbikes but I liked the racing buggies best.
Drive out to the Finke River Road.

Daddy 'FLY', Mummy thinks Daddy is very funny.
This is my friend Lachlan - we played together from dawn to dusk and we had a great time every day but it is cold....
Daddy and Shae in the desert.
Channel, Elousie, Shae and Corey - all rugged up and ready to unpack. I am so over having my photo taken at this point..... I'm helping Daddy unpack our truck - I'm wearing my Finke shirt and my new boots.

Mummy said I was being the opposite of help but I know that Uncle Mick was glad I was helping unpack the caravan.
This is our humungous tent that Mummy made Daddy buy. She said it was a good idea in theory but maybe it was a little big to be unpacking and packing. Daddy wasn't very impressed...

Lachlan and I played hidey go seek with Corey in the caravan - think I am going to sleep here!

We certainly did a lot of eating. I feel like a big boy and am having lots of new adventures. Daddy said he was very proud of me for trying new things - I love camping.

Lachlans mummy Lisa set up a play tent for us - we had trucks, cars and a DVD - we played a lot outside but when we were tire we also played inside the tent.
Uncle Mick, Corey and this is Lachlans Mummy Lisa.

This is Uncle Dave who looks like Uncle Mick - it sure took me a while to figure them out, they are twins but I just called both of them Uncle Mick. Uncle Dave came over from Perth - these are his neices Channel and Elouise.
Daddy and Uncle Mick and Uncle Mick (Dave).
These are Daddys good friends - Uncle Dave, Uncle Spud, Daddy and Uncle Mick and my good friend Lachlan.
This is my Lightening McQueen all in one racing suit that Mummy bought in Canberra, and I am wearing my Finke beanie. Mummy said she was over come by my cuteness - I thought she would be used to my cuteness by now. I was very warm in my racing suit and I loved wearing it.

drinking my warm milo before bedtime.

This is us playing at the race track the next morning waiting for the racing cars, buggies and motorbikes to come through.
Shae and I were very excited to see the race - it was very fast and we saw one man fall off right in front of us!
This is Uncle Mick stealing Daddys glasses - he was being a Zoolander model.
Mummy thinks Uncle Mick has a future in Zoolander modeling - he's a natural she said.
Daddy has a lot of strange glasses and hats, but its all good fun.
This is Coreys first attempt at Damper - she did ask Mick to check it but he said 'it would be right'.....and it turned out black but yummy on the inside.
We played all day with our trucks and racing cars - Mummy said she only saw me at dinner time!

This is us on the second day in the back of Daddys ute watching the race. It was very cold but we are all rugged up having fun.
Lisa taught me how to hold my sleeve in my fist when putting my big jacket on - she is good at cold camping stuff.
Last bikes going through!
After the race we went back to the Quest for showers, washing, washing and more washing. The next morning I helped Daddy pack the car and get ready for another day of driving.
Although Daddy had to chase me and catch me to put me in the car!!!!
This is our last picture - Tim, Daddy and I having lunch at the Tennant Creek Red Rooster (shae having flown back to Darwin to play in her touch grandfinal) . Mummy says I have been amazing in the car - I sleep a lot and play happily with only a minor tantrum on day Seven! We had a great time at the Finke and I have grown up alot. Mummy sighs and says what happened to my baby my little nearly three year old.

3 comments:

Anzin Sullivan said...

Ohh I want to go camping too!! I loved the lightning McQueen outfit. Mummy looks like she had fun, I call Dave Mick too and yep Corey needs more practice with Damper making.....

Trish said...

Looks like you all had a fabulous adventure. If our RV gets fixed by tomorrow we can have an adventure too!

Gemma said...

Hello LJ,

what a wonderful adventure. I had lots of fun looking at all the photos and so pleased I was away from the cold and the dust and the noise at Finke!! But I would have loved sharing the adventure with you and your family.

See you soon.